Sunday, November 8, 2009

Jefferson City Braunschweiger Report #3: A Log for Your Next Shindig

Oh my goodness.

What can I say? This sounded kinda good, and kinda gross at the same time.




. . . So I had to make it. Yeah, it’s from a church ladies cookbook, the 1975 one from Faith Lutheran Church here in Jeff City. I told you about it before.

Braunschweiger Log

1 lb. Braunschweiger
2 Tbsp. chili sauce
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/2 tsp. sweet basil
4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled, or 2 oz. (1/2 c.) crushed or slivered nuts

Combine Braunschweiger, chili sauce, basil, and mayonnaise. Form mixture into loaf shape. Roll in crumbled bacon or crushed or slivered nuts. Add decoration to top for occasion. (For example: Christmas holly—leaves cut from a green pepper and berries made from pimiento pieces.) Serve with assorted crackers.

Mrs. Linda Sporleder

From Cooking with Faith, 1950 to 1975 (Jefferson City, Mo.: Faith Lutheran Ladies Guild, ca. 1975), 7.


“How . . . was it?” you might ask, thinking to yourself, “Ewwwww . . .”

Well? It tasted . . . braunschweigery. But better than plain braunschweiger: Beating it up with the other ingredients turns it into a nice, easy little pâté, perfect for dipping, with that retro flavor that no one “does” anymore. It’s reasonably pretty when decorated (as I did) with sliced almonds as well as the recommended colorful bell-pepper artwork.

I truly don’t advise rolling it in crumbled bacon, or your heart valves might start clapping shut like storm doors on a windy day. And trust me, no one’s that keen on defibrillation.

I used Yeo’s Hot Chilli Sauce (product of Singapore) instead of the mild, home-canned, 1950s-era chili sauce that I’m sure Mrs. Sporleder used, and I’m glad I did, because it added a nice little kick. Okay, and I reduced the amount of braunschweiger and added plenty more chili sauce and basil than recommended, too. The heat really added a nice dimension. Yum!

It makes enough for a party. Please serve it with raw veggies in addition to crackers.

You might consider this as a potential potluck item the coming holidays. . . . Because you know nothing will “wow” them like a genuine church-ladies-style braunschweiger log.

(Wow.)

No comments: